Digital Transformation is Taking-Off in the Travel Industry
After facing unprecedented challenges, the travel sector is taking off more than ever before. With such a remarkable resurgence, advertisers have every reason to buckle up their seatbelts and take full advantage of the opportunities it presents.
The prolonged restrictions and lockdowns of the past couple of years have ignited a global case of pent-up wanderlust. In fact, according to the International Air Transport Association, International travel has reached 90% of pre-pandemic levels already this year! Regardless of the disastrous or whimsical reasons why people are traveling more, it is said that global passenger demand is estimated to grow 22% year-on-year in 2023 and 6% in 2024.
As people continue to plan trips and pack their suitcases eager to explore new horizons, a vast avenue for advertisers is opening up. By creating meaningful connections with captive audiences who are actively seeking travel experiences, return on investment is high. In fact Forbes reported that tour operators and travel agents celebrated record-breaking sales in 2023 (and the year’s not over yet!)
Not only that, but there has been a notable change in the type of travel that people are interested in. Modern travelers are no longer content with generic experiences. Niche travel segments such as eco-tourism, wellness retreats, cultural immersions, and adventure travel are on the rise. There is vast opportunity for companies offering environmentally friendly and sustainable travel with a reported 53% of people admitting that recent news has influenced them to go eco.
How is digital transformation influencing the travel industry?
- Online booking and reservations: The most noticeable impact is in the ease and convenience of booking travel services online. From flights and accommodations to tours and activities, travellers can easily compare options, read reviews, and make reservations through websites and apps.
- Mobile apps: Travel companies are developing mobile apps that offer a one-stop-shop for travelers. These apps provide features like real-time flight tracking, digital boarding passes, hotel check-in/check-out, and personalized recommendations for dining and attractions.
- Data analytics and personalization: Travel businesses are leveraging data to gain insights into customer preferences and behaviors. This data is used to create personalized travel recommendations, offers, and experiences that cater to individual needs and preferences.
- Enhanced customer engagement: Social media, influencers and online review sites allow travelers to share their experiences and interact with travel brands.
- Dynamic pricing: Digital platforms allow for dynamic pricing, where prices for flights, hotels, and other services are adjusted in real-time based on factors like demand, availability, and time.
3 distinct takeaways for advertisers
- Engage with content creators who can help you spread the word.
Digital collaborative marketing opens up collaborations between travel brands and influencers, content creators, and even local communities. The world of TikTok and Instagram is reshaping advertising strategies in every sector, but here, advertisers can forge alliances that amplify reach and authenticity, leading to more impactful campaigns.
- Evaluate your tech stack and ensure you’re getting the right data.
By embracing digital transformation with seamless online booking platforms, you can leverage this digital shift to tailor personalized campaigns, precisely targeting potential travellers with relevant offers, destination insights, and other content.
- Introduce new technologies that can help you advertise in a more personalized way.
Get the most out of the new travel trends and advertising opportunities available. Celtra’s DPA for Travel gives your team the opportunity to leverage their own expertise and know-how to create stunning on-brand DPAs at the conversion stage (where it matters most!).
Want to learn more about Celtra?
Unlock your ad and creative performance and book a demo today!